Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Commercial Success

I am an Ad exec's wet dream. I'm the person they gear all of those flashy commercials to, all of the bright colors, the shiny. All me. It's pretty much guaranteed that if and Ad has the phrase "...for the price of..." anywhere in it's text I will buy it. It's clearly a good deal. Even if it says "5 for the price of 10." Not the point. I know I'm saving somewhere.

I am an even greater sucker for great music in advertising. Whether it be an original recording composed for the Ad itself, or just someone plugging in my favorite song into a particular product, a smart tune will certainly drawn my attention and hold it. Possibly long enough for me to pull out my debit card. These are a few of my favorite Ads featuring a few of my favorite songs.

Ad: Helio Ocean

This Ad makes me smile. I'd really like to think that it's how my phone is made. Well it would be if I had the "Ocean." Alas my phone is a phone and it is run by a phone company. The song itself is light and bubbly, one might call it down right effervescent. The track was created fir the Ad alone, but due to popular request the company had it available for download on their website.

Get your feet wet HERE



Download:

Helio - Creation Theme

______________________________________________

Ad: Dell XPS M1330

when I first saw this Ad I thought it must be for Target. Attractive women piecing an engine together in tight dresses and heals. The idea of mixing several different images and product types together screams Target. Alas, Spot the target dog never shows his face and at the end of the commercial we see it is an ad for the super thin Dell XPS M1330 Laptop. Who knew? What I do know is that it features a new song from Devo! The gent's who two decades ago got an entire generation to "Whip it good!" are now urging us to "Watch them work it!" I submit that I will. This song is great! 80's-tastic robot voice, catchy as hell guitar, and hand claps! I'm all in.

Slim Down HERE



DOWNLOAD:

Devo - Watch Us Work It

Check out Devo HERE
_______________________________________________

Ad: LG Chocolate

I'll be the first to admit that there is nothing particularly alluring about this Ad. It basically just sits there. The thing that draws you in is the seductive lull of Feist's gravley voice. I would basically buy anything she was offering!



Now if you'd like to see what this ad should have looked like check out the initial Ad that LG put out for their phone/mp3 player. Slick and enticing, it builds enough mystery to make you really wonder what they're getting at and then... there it is. You wanna know how to make a phone sexy? Smother it in chocolate and the wrap it in the gorgeous sound of Golfrapp's "Strict Machine." Alison Goldfrapp's voice could easily lure a man to a watery grave and the synth lines slink around like Michelle Pfeiffer in a vinyl catsuit. This is fabulous advertising!

Indulge HERE





DOWNLOAD:

Feist - My Moon, My Man

Check out Feist HERE

Goldfrapp - Strict Machine

Check out Goldfrapp HERE

________________________________________________


Ad: Apple iPod

Not a whole lot has to be said about any of Apple's kick ass Ads for the global phenomenon that is the iPod. They are always colorful, fun, and full of energy. Oh yeah, and there's music. These Ads usually introduce great new artists to the general masses thanks to Steve Jobs and assoc. This was not the case for this particular Ad as I had caught wind of The Fratellis' "Flathead" a month or so before the commercial started to circulate. I was furious with Apple for so carelessly giving away my new musical secret before I was able to introduce it to my friends thus increasing my cool exponentially. Although I think the fact that I thought that in the first place totally negates any kind of cool I might have had to begin with. Oh well. This one's a banger! Get into it.

Assimilate HERE



DOWNLOAD:


The Fratellis - Flathead

Check out The Fratellis HERE

_________________________________________

Ad: LA Ink

Miss Kat Von D was prolly the biggest draw for TLC's Miami Ink. A hot ass female in a shop full of cocksure guys, Kat proved that she can certainly hold her own as one of the most sought after tattoo artists around Miami. That was of course until unshakable homesickness and head butting with shop owner Ami drove her back to the west coast. Now she's got her own TV show on TLC titled... wait for it.... LA Ink. Ok, completely unoriginal, but I'm still gonna watch. The promo Ad gets us all riled up in anticipation for the premiere as Kat walks down the streets of La into her new shop while Nouvelle Vague's cover of the Billy Idol track "Dancing With Myself" plays in the background. The song's soft bossa nova sound fits perfectly over Kat's pinup girl posing and preening, proving that tattoo chicks are hot. Super hot in fact.

Get fresh ink HERE



Download:


Nouvelle Vague - Dancing with Myself

Check out Nouvelle Vague HERE
____________________________________________

Ad: Target Hello, Good Buy

Anyone who knows me at all knows that I love me some Target. And I've already discussed my love for the song used in this particular Ad once before but I decided to to rehash it for this post. Singer Sophia Shorai was commissioned to re record The Beatles "Hello, Goodbye" for Target's first Ad in their series of "Hello, Good Buy" commercials. You see it's a pun! Get it!? Anyway, I love the shit out of this song in general but Sophia's sugar sweet cover is particularly delicious. Unfortunately it was created solely for this Ad and is therefor not available on any record or even in full representation. That simply wasn't good enough for me. Clearly. I took it upon myself to download the video off of youtube, convert it and rip the audio track so that my crazy ass could listen to it in my iPod whenever I felt like it! All 59 glorious seconds of it. Don't judge me. I did what I had to do! The Ad itself is nothing less than what you'd expect a Target Ad to be. Bright, colorful, full of very attractive people using some of the thousands of products Target has to offer their patrons. All in an attempt to get you to buy everything you need and much more that you don't from them. It worked on me. I pretty much shop there exclusively.

Take aim HERE



DOWNLOAD:

Sophia Shorai - Hello, Goodbye

Check out Sophia Shorai HERE


I think that's just enough crazy for one night. Enjoy.

3 comments:

lisa/bethy said...

You realize that now I have to go buy all of those things, right? *sigh*

B L said...

Thank you so much! I have been scouring the internet for the full version of this song (I heard tales that a full version of it is gonna be on or is on one of her cds?).

Also, I tried to see the lunar eclipse, but it didn't work because I live on the East Coast and the sunrise and western skyline clouds ruined it for me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.