
His name is Gavin Castleton and I cannot stop playing his music. I stumbled upon his blog where he had posted a video cover of "Nothing Compares 2 u" and was hooked. I must've watched it 5 times all the way through back to back. And that's something as it clocks in at just over 9 minutes. From there I began to listen to the snippets he had available on his Myspace and now it seems I'm completely obsessed. He has a few albums out now (check out Hospital Hymns, it's gorgeous!!) but I am most interested in his forthcoming endeavor titled Home. His myspace is almost baren, spare a creepy hand rising from the dirt and this :
When your lover tears your heart
clumsily from your chest
and holds it up to your face
you will first wonder "How an I still alive?"
But then you will think,
"I had no idea my heart was that big."
Your friends will tell you to hury up and get over it.
they will prescrive all sorts of bandaids,
exalting the near ad distant future
while you can't see two feet in front of your face.
The truth is, there is no right way to cope
and there is no wrong way to cope...
You just cope.
This music is how Gavin Castleton chose to cope.
"HOME," and album designed to heal heartache.
I'm in!
The bits and pieces I've heard from this album have me salivating at the thought of the outright feast. Ordinarily I would have no problem with searching for an advanced copy to quench my desires but at the artists specific request (as per his blog about the album's leak) I have decided to wait very patiently for it's Friday the 13th release date next month. I was able to track down some downloads made available from him that are completely guilt free and will share those with you now in the hopes that you too will be one of the 1rst in line to purchase Home when it drops.
From Home
This track is bouncy and fun with a retro sound that makes my heart smile!
Gavin Castleton - CoffeeLocks
and although I won't post it for download, Gavin put up this track on his myspace and you have to hear it. I keep the player open all day just to listen over and over again!!! It's called "Sugar in the Sheets" and the time change makes my pulse quicken! I also threw in a couple othe misc. Gavin goodies. GO BUY THIS GUYS STUFF!!!
This next track appears as a b-side on the 1st single released on itunes from Home, it's creepy and the cover has what looks to be zombies and I love it!!!

Gavin Castleton - Since 1968 (The Overclock Orchestra Remix)
Download from RCRDLBL (after the jump)
and finally the aformentioned cover of the Sinéad O'Connor track
Gavin Castleton - Nothing Compares 2 U (MediaFire)
Nothing Compares 2 (Sinead O'Connor cover) from Gavin Castleton on Vimeo.
Visit his Myspace
his blog
buy his stuff, learn some more all here.

ps. Thanks for the tip, Boo-yonce!
2 comments:
Hah, Beyonce. Though, I must confess that I stumbled upon Coffeelocks while searching for a Gwen Stefani remix.
So, yes, indeed, he has some great jams and I also suggest everyone to listen. It's definitely a new taste palate.
You should check out his band Gruvis Malt, too. Good stuff.
Post a Comment