Monday, November 19, 2007

Sweet Tooth

It's been a while since I made a mix of goodies and this is a veritable grab bag. Pop gets a really bad name these days and I'd like to do my part to put and end to the stigma. These songs are sweet and delicious and bubble gum free. Enjoy.



PopRocks

1. My Party (Kenna & Chad Hugo Remix) - Kings of Leon (Purchase Because of the Time)*

Neptunes' other half and Kenna team up to teach these good ol' boys to dance.
_______________________________________________

2. Handle Me (Bjorn Remix) - Robyn (Purchase Robyn)*

Like a lolly pop that's fallen on the dirty floor. What!? It's still good, 3 second rule!!!

_______________________________________________

3. Fleur de Saison - Émilie Simon (Purchase The Flower Book)

French pop is so hot! So what if she's singing about a flower!

_______________________________________________

4. Australia (Peter Bjorn & John Remix) - The Shins (Purchase Wincing the Night Away)*

The album version's sullen, dissonant twin.

_______________________________________________

5. The Underdog - Spoon (Purchase Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga)

Horn blowing, hand clapping, tamborine shaking goodness.)

_______________________________________________

6. I Feel it All - Feist (Purchase The Reminder)

Feist is a bit over exposed at the moment... and I can't think of anyone more deserving. Let the world know of her brilliance!

_______________________________________________

7. Simple X - Andrew Bird (Purchase Armchair Apocrypha)

I don't remember which blog I read it in, but someone once described this song as sounding like "...a Radiohead B-side... in the best possible way." Well said, sir or madame!

_______________________________________________


8. Consolation Prizes - Phoenix (Purchase It's Never Been Like That)

I've been meaning to share this track for some time now. This seems as good a time as any. Let the hip shaking commence!

_______________________________________________


9. Lake Michigan - Rogue Wave (Purchase Asleep at Heaven's Gate)

I've been there once. This song is way better than that visit.

_______________________________________________

10. The Prayer - KT Tunstall (Purchase Drastic Fantastic)**

Possibly better than the original by Bloc Party. Recorded for Radio One Live Lounge. Duh!

_______________________________________________
11. Buttons - Sia (Purchase Day Too Soon)

No, this is not a Pussycat Dolls Cover. Shame on you! Oddly enough, reminds me of "They Don't Know" by Tracey Ullman. Not sure where that's coming from.

_______________________________________________

12. La La La - The Bird and The Bee (Purchase The Bird and The Bee)

Daydream pop at it's very best!

_______________________________________________

13. Foundations - Kate Nash (Purchase Made of Bricks)

She's not even trying to hide her cockney accent and it's all the better for it! The line "You say I must eat so many lemons, 'cause I am so bitter" wouldn't work any other way!

________________________________________________

14. Breakin' Up - Rilo Kiley (Purchase Under the Blacklight)

If the video for this doesn't take place at a Roller Rink I will be sadly dissapointed!

________________________________________________

Download the entire Pop Rocks Mix and a .zip file HERE.


* This is a remix and doesn't appear on the studio album.
**This track was recorded live and is not available for purchase.

3 comments:

lisa/bethy said...

Have you heard "Under the Blacklight" in it's entirety? I've quite enjoyed it. Different than they're other stuff, but I like it.

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry, did you conclude the title of this album with the word "Mix"? i thought we addressed that jeff. i thought we made changes. both of us. do you want me to start wearing gel in my hair again? cuz i'll do it.

lisa/bethy said...

I can't seem to download "My Party" or "Australia".

Please fix.