
I went to see Robyn last night at Popscene in SF. Barring the pushy hipsters, the Furries ( oh yes, there were men dressed in full body animal costumes!), a drunk guy who almost got in a fight with my boy, and the support beam that partially obstructed my view, it was a great time. For only playing three shows in the US I was worried she might phone this one in, but to my utter delight it was fantastic. 1st off there was a band, not just some shoddy backing track and second, that trick can sing. I often wonder about dance acts as to whether or not they actually have the vocal ability their CDs boast or if through the magic of production they are made somewhat passable. Certainly not the case with Robyn. Her vocals were clear and crisp and she herself was energetic and playful! The setlist included all of her latest singles and she even played 3 encore songs including a popular ballad version of "Be Mine" of which she had already performed the dance version, "Jack u Off" a Prince cover that sounds like it was recorded in a basement juke joint during prohibition (and I mean that in the best possible way), and a stripped down version of the hit "Show Me Love" from her 1997 album Robyn is Here. I leave you with a few tasty tidbits and urge you to buy her album. It's dance pop goodness at its finest. Enjoy.
Buy Robyn's Music HERE.
With Every Heartbeat
Be Mine (Ballad Version)
Jack U Off
Show Me Love
Watch
Konichiwa Bitches!
Be Mine
Handle Me
3 comments:
Soooooooo no drunk guy almost got in a fight with me. um do we need to talk who your boy is?
don't you worry about it!
So, I'm pretty sure that Konichiwa Bitches video is my new favorite thing.
Post a Comment