Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Case of You




I keep a playlist in my itunes for things I am not certain I want to purchase. Contained in this list of 30 second snippets , lies a track by Neko Case. Idley biding its time there since September of 2005, waiting for me to realize the beauty that lies beyond the vague sample someone decided was enough to illustrate her talent. It wasn't until I received a copy of Fox Confessor Brings The Flood from my dear friend and sometimes musical sensei Daniel that I came to know of one few men have had the pleasure.

The reason I had yet to purchase this song is simple, it doesn't showcase Case's remarkable voice. It's really quite incredible. She sounds as if from another time, when Patsy Cline, Brenda Lee and Loretta Lynn were in their prime, and yet her music is completely distinctive. Her lyrics create such textured imagery and the drive in her voice ensures that there is surely not a word wasted.

I had a terrible time trying to decide what songs I was going to include for you to sample. Since receiving the album for Christmas, I haven't taken it out of the Cd player in my car. I have listened to it at least 10 times all the way through (which isn't difficult as it clocks in at just over 35 minutes) so these songs only really exist to me as a complete story and it's very difficult for me think of them as otherwise. I honestly couldn't tell their names, or where one song ends and the next begins until I ripped it into my computer and clicked on them song by song. I have chosen 4 tracks that I cannot stop humming to myself and I hope they represent her well. Please go out and purchase this album!!

Itunes

Amazon

From Fox Confessor Brings the Flood




Star Witness

Hold On, Hold On

Maybe Sparrow

At Last

Maybe Sparrow Live on Letterman (Effing Amazing!)

No comments: