Saturday, December 24, 2011

Release The Hounds.

The second volume in my Winter Mix-Tape set was actually the first to be compiled. One of the things I struggle with when trying to compile mixes in the colder months is my tendency to make them sound like a break up letter or worse, suicide notes. Now, admittedly I get a little down when the skies turn grey and there is no green anywhere around me, but to listen to my first several attempts at Winter mixes would have you thinking I'm clinically depressed.

This year I desperately wanted to create mixes that, although have a base theme of my feelings in the Winter time, could be listend to throughout the year without bringing me down. But How?

StereoType Winter Mix-Tape Vol. 2 :

The Hunt


Then I remembered the piano cover version of the bouncy, pop confection that is "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" that Greg Laswell put out a couple of years ago. Talk about a re-imagining. He took one of the most bubbly, bright pop songs I can think of and turned it into something that is both absolutely beautiful and incredibly somber. That's exactly what I needed. There were several songs in my collection that fit the bill perfectly. Interspersed with some wonderful new tracks that have a bit of a darker tinge and this mix came together quite easily. It's a blend of gorgeous, heart-string plucking acoustic tunes with silky, seductive electro. There's dirty, guitar driven alternative inter-laced with dark and biting trip-hop. Pulsing, relentless remixes juxtaposed by effortless, ghostly covers. It is both romantic and heart-breaking. Beautiful and dangerous. Both predator and prey. I'm so very much in love with this mix. I hope you will be, too. Enjoy.

Download Via MediaFire

No comments: