Friday, December 30, 2011

See It Through

When I began compiling songs for my Winter Mix-Tapes this year I had no idea I would be creating a set. In the end there were just too many songs that I truly love and I couldn't bring myself to edit some of them out. There were also quite a few "sad-bastard" songs and I really didn't want my it to sound like one big pity party. Creating three separate mixes allowed me to break up some of the heavier tracks while ensuring that I didn't have to shelve anything until I break out my razor blades heavy coat again next year. That said, this playlist definitely contains some of the more weighted tracks of the three.

StereoType Winter Mix-Tape Vol. 3 :

Wait It Out


This playlist came together easier than either of the others. Sort of. It was the last to be assembled and I went back and forth on whether or not to make it a "Holiday" themed mix. In the end I felt like the beautifully sad songs that rest as the backbone of the mix didn't mesh well with the happy, "let's all celebrate" sound of the traditional Holiday tracks and I ended up giving them a home all their own. After removing all the traditionally festive tracks I was left with five or so songs I knew had to be on the list. I quickly went to work combing through my music library to find songs to flush out the rest of the playlist, determined to create something of substance and not just those five original tracks and a bunch of "filler."

When I had finished with the initial selection process and began to actually compile the final playlist I was so pleasantly surprised by how little work I actually had to do. Most of the tracks made it on the mix in the order in which they were added originally. Usually it takes me several hours (read: days weeks) to get them all in just the right order. It was great, but still missing something. That one song I usually reserve for the number seven slot. My favorite of the mix. It wasn't until I got to spend some time with my wonderful friend Daniel that I was fortunate to have the song fall into my lap. In truth I've been stealing tracks from him for years but this time I decided it bears mentioning as this particular track perfectly completes the album. So thank you, Daniel, I truly love that song. Since I'm being so generous, I should probably mention that another friend, Miguel, suggested two tracks that I used and absolutely love as well.

So that's it. The not so short story of how this mix came to be and the people who helped me create it. I hope you enjoy it.

Download via MediaFire

My friend Daniel's site: Not Indie Enough For You. He doesn't update often, but when he does it's oh so very good.


No comments: